Sunday 22 June 2014

OPINIONS ARE NON CONTEMPORARY

"The commentators say ‘all or nothing’ they say ‘pressure on her shoulders’ they say ‘she fought to come back.’  They say ‘outrageously difficult’ and ‘beautiful twisting position.’  They say ‘they train for this - they know how to fall.’". http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=825

"Ordinary people use too many words.". Sei Shonagon

In a bus station a young boy spins slowly round and round while eating a bag of crisps and a young muslim woman sits with her back perfectly erect while reading a prayer book.

Walking through the city I see a huge billboard carrying the words: “If the truth hurts, its the truth’s fault.”  It may be an advertisement for a luxury car, or a public service announcement by the Chinese Communist Party - I’ve no idea - but I dont stop to register the small-text, the spin: I just keep walking.

Within the strict segregation of the sexes operating in a traditional Arab city a girl talks to her lover on a mobile while gazing at him from across the street.

in the olympic stadium the fastest man in the world waves to the crowd from the medal podium, then runs a little race in the air with two fingers.

After breaking the 800m world record the Kenyan athlete David Radusha makes a noise like a delicate little songbird.  And then, with indescribable innocence, in the post-race interview he says ‘the weather was so beautiful tonight I decided to try and break the world record.’

In the supermarket dramatic new age music starts as I home in on the ginger biscuits, and in the self-service checkout area the woman supervisor describes for me the song she is quietly humming: it is a Sikh song about a lover betrayed.

An artist talks about how “my days become nights and my nights become brighter and more ‘available.’”. A quantum physicist talks about the coming decades of ‘very simple decision making.’

In an email conversation a friend asks me to explain what I mean by the phrase ‘conversation-like behaviour.’  I send back seven definitions.

(These things I saw, or read about, in the 64th year of the Xerox era, also the 15th year of the era of the savage detectives, during the lunar month known in medieval Japan as Risshuu, ‘Autumn Begins’)

"… And at the end I said something about my current dilemma, summarised in the title quote above (which was said to me by a curator quitting her job), that opinions are no longer a useful or appropriate organising principle, that reckoning is no longer a scarcity, that the network now so obviously and explicitly extends beyond the bounds of any individual being able to say anything useful or conclusive on or about it in isolation, that telling someone your opinion is like telling them about your dreams."
          —  James Bridle

No comments:

Post a Comment